M23 rebels walk through the jungle in Congo's North Kivu Province, July 28, 2012.
In October 2012, UN experts issued a report, in which they said that Rwanda and Uganda continued to support the March 23 movement (M23) rebels, who had set up a parallel government in the provinces of North Kivu and South Kivu in eastern Congo.
On January 8, UN peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous said he had asked the Security Council for three aircraft-size drones to be deployed along the border in Congo’s mountainous eastern region.
On Monday, Kagame, who had earlier opposed the UN plan to deploy the drones, said he had "no problem" with it.
"I have no problem... if they think it can help... it is up to them," Kagame told reporters in the Rwandan capital Kigali. However, he asked how the deployment of the drones in Congo would "contribute towards peace."
Kinshasa and the UN have said that the rebels fighting the Congolese army were trained in Rwanda, an accusation Kigali denies.
Uganda, which has been selected as the mediator for the talks between the Congolese government and M23 rebels, has already expressed support for the plan on the condition that the drones are not used for combat missions.
On December 31, 2012, the UN Security Council unanimously agreed to impose an arms embargo on M23 and another rebel group known as the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR).
The sanctions freeze the assets of certain people linked to the groups and bar two M23 leaders - the rebel group's president, Jean-Marie Runiga, and one of its military commanders, Lt. Col. Eric Badege - from travel.
The M23 rebels seized the eastern city of Goma on November 20 after UN peacekeepers gave up the battle for the frontier city, which is home to about one million people. The rebels withdrew from the city on December 1 under a ceasefire accord.
The M23 rebels defected from the Congolese army in April 2012 in protest over alleged mistreatment in the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC). They had previously been integrated into the Congolese army under a peace deal signed in 2009.
Since early May, over 900,000 people have fled their homes in eastern Congo. Most of them have resettled in Congo, but tens of thousands have crossed into neighboring Rwanda and Uganda.