Enter Your Email to Recieve Newsletter
 
 
Publish Date : Saturday 17 June 2017 - 10:11
Share/Save/Bookmark
UNSC liable for consequences of Saudi war on Yemen: Ansarullah
Mohammed Abdulsalam, spokesman for Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement (Photo by AFP)
 
Mohammed Abdulsalam, spokesman for Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement (Photo by AFP)
 
Islam Times - Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement has held the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) accountable for the consequences of the deadly Saudi aggression, stressing that the nation reserves the right to defend itself.
 
Mohammed Abdulsalam, the movement’s spokesman, said on Saturday that the UNSC issues statements that encourage the invader to continue its attacks and sieges, increasing the suffering of millions of Yemenis and dashing hope for a political resolution of the conflict, the al-Masirah television network reported.

 
The Yemeni army and allied popular forces would use all means to respond to Saudi assaults as Yemen, like other nations, reserves the right to defend itself against any invasion, Abdulsalam said.

 
The UNSC, which is in charge of preserving global peace, should know that the Saudi war supported by the US arms and financial aid, threatens international security, he added.

 
The Houthi official also stressed that the deterioration of the health situation in Yemen with the outbreak of Cholera is “a source of shame” for the body that claims to be promoting human rights.

 
He further held Saudi Arabia responsible for the stalemate in talks between Yemen’s warring sides, the siege on Yemen and Sana’a Airport activities.

 
In a lengthy statement on Thursday, the UNSC called on the Houthis and allies to cease all attacks at Saudi Arabia.

 
It also urged Yemen’s warring sides to reach a UN brokered deal on management of the strategic port city of Hudaydah at a time that the country slides closer to famine.

 
Saudi Arabia has been leading a brutal military campaign against Yemen for more than two years to eliminate the Houthi movement and reinstall a Riyadh-friendly former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.

 
The military campaign, however, has failed to achieve its goals and left over 12,000 Yemenis dead.

 
The country is also grappling with a Cholera epidemic.

 
Earlier this week, Save the Children charity said at least 942 people have been killed since the outbreak began in Yemen in April.

 
It further warned that the rate of infection is increasing and that one child is contracting the disease every 35 seconds. 

 
“Disease, starvation and war are causing a perfect storm of disaster for Yemen’s people. The region’s poorest country is on the verge of total collapse, and children are dying because they’re not able to access basic healthcare,” said Grant Pritchard, Save the Children’s Yemen country director.

 
Cholera is an acute diarrheal infection that is spread through contaminated food or water. It can be effectively treated with the immediate replacement of lost fluids and salts, but without treatment it can be fatal.
 
Story Code: 646663