The Afghan Defense Ministry said in a statement on Friday that 175 militants were killed and 82 others injured in a series of operations carried out in the provinces of Daykundi, Ghazni, Helmand, Herat, Kandahar, Kunduz, Nangarhar, Paktia, Paktika , Takhar, Uruzgan and Zabul.
The statement added that five Afghan soldiers lost their lives during the offensives.
Afghan soldiers also confiscated light and heavy weapons and defused several rounds of improvised explosive devices (IEDs).
Taliban raids on police posts fail
Meanwhile, nearly a dozen Taliban militants have been killed when members of the terrorist group carried out separate attacks on a number of security checkpoints in Afghanistan’s western province of Herat.
Colonel Ghulam Sakhi Hussaini, the police chief for Pashtun Zarghun district in the province, said more than 80 Taliban militants launched coordinated offensives on police posts in Dasht-e-Nizan area of the district early on Friday, triggering gun battles.
He added that 10 terrorists and a civilian were killed in the firefights, while eight others, including three militant commanders, sustained injuries
Hussaini further asserted that there were no casualties on the side of Afghan security personnel following the skirmishes.
Moreover, Afghan police forces engaged Taliban militants in the Bala Buluk district of Afghanistan’s western province of Farah, situated 650 kilometers (405 miles) southwest of the capital, Kabul, late on Thursday, killing 17 militants and injuring six others.
The Taliban militant group in Afghanistan has made no comment on the reports so far.
Afghanistan is gripped by insecurity nearly 14 years after the United States and its allies attacked the country in 2001 as part of Washington’s so-called war on terror. Although the attack overthrew the Taliban, many areas across Afghanistan still face violence and insecurity.